Friday, November 7, 2014

The Wonderful World of an Administrative Assistant in the College Setting




 

These are the photos of my daily work station. I love that I have my own desk and cubicle. I am not too crazy about the massive amounts of paper that I not only have to store in files where I can actually find it for later use, but also about the daily amounts of paper that is used/recycled. I was really nervous to begin this job because I thought that even though I have had tons of training in doing these Administrative things, I thought that it would be too much for me to learn, and maneuver accurately in the short amount of time that I am there each day. With as much determination I have towards this job as I did towards obtaining my 4.0 GPA's last year, I have succeeded in learning a huge chunk of what I will be responsible for with this position. I can now effectively maneuver through the majority of the programs/procedures that I am expected to know and execute with my job.

There has certainly been some interesting and new adventures with this position that will not only allow me to gain skills and grow but will also teach me how to be a good boss. I am officially the Supervisor of the 4 work-study students who work in this office and I have been tested by them to see what I will and will not allow and the last two days I have had to learn to be the supervisor my supervisor is expecting me to be, even if that means having a backbone and not being a push over for the sake of wanting them to like me over ensuring the needed work gets done by the students...It has certainly been a learning experience as I know that I will continue to learn as I get more comfortable with this position and all that is expected of me.

I find myself eager to get to work early and get the day started and I realized that time flies by so fast that I feel I have only been working for about an hour. All the Administrative tasks that go into running a college efficiently and effectively even within a few select majors is surely not an easy task, however, I know I can do it and I am up for the challenge. : )

Walking through the halls on the "reverse side" of the spectrum not only gives me a new found respect for all the faculty and staff who make the daily functions of the school day run smoothly, but I have also learned a lot about myself and the potential I have to advance within this career field.  I am ready and willing to learn all I can with this job and I am hoping the dedication I have to learning these programs/procedures/duties will show my supervisor that I am serious about this job, I can get things done, delegate responsibilities to my work-study students as well as be an extension of help and support to the Academic Advisors with whom I work for.

I love this job, what I do and I am eager to see where this job leads me and what opportunities await in the wings. For now, I will continue to do my best, get things done and enjoy this time I have with the wonderful people I work for and work with. : )

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment