Saturday, August 30, 2014
Symbolism Saturday--Dreams
Haven't you ever wondered why we have dreams or what they could mean when we do have them? This is a question that I have asked myself for many years now. I know that there are theories out there but I am not sure if I agree completely with any one specific theory or stance on it. I have instead tried to develop my own personal theory for the dreams that I have based on what dreams I have had and how they relate to any part of my life.
I have had multiple kinds of dreams throughout my life ranging from the completely strange, to scary/horrifying, to death dreams, reoccurring dreams over and over again, to dreams that continue after waking up right where you left off.
One dream that I have had over and over again oddly has to do with being chased by dinosaurs. Not just any dinosaur, but the most ferocious of them all the Tyrannosaurus Rex! Now, I have seen Jurassic Park (all 3 of them) many times throughout my life and I even own all three movies, but I maybe watch the movie series once a year, if that, so I know it's not because I recently watched it...The storyline is always the same, with the same people but in different locations. By the end of the dream (or at least when I wake up) I am always being chased by this dinosaur, scared, running for my life because he's mad and about to kill me! This dream stumped me for years and then I thought about what was going on in my life during the times when I would have this strange dinosaur dream. Every time I have had this dream, I am stressed out about something, there is someone or something in my life that is very overpowering, suffocating me, trying to control something in my life and if I do not get out or get away soon, that person or thing will essentially kill a part of me...So, I have learned to take notice to when I have this dream or a variation of something similar and that means I need to do some personal evaluation to get rid of that thing or person who is suffocating me.
I used to have death dreams all of the time and I could never figure out why. These were death dreams of somehow in the dream, I would be the one who would die, although I have always woken up just before I died...These dreams scared the crap out of me for many years as I thought that I would die really young for whatever reason...Then many years later, after these dreams died down and occurred less frequently; I began to search within myself to find answers. I did research on dreams but nothing really seemed to "fit" with what I was experiencing, so I took bits and pieces into consideration, but still wanted to know why I was having these dreams. I would have dreams of falling off buildings and waking up seconds before I would hit the ground and meet my demise. I would have dreams of plane crashes, car accidents, hot air balloon rides gone bad...etc. All of them where I would be on the verge of dying and wake up that scary second before you actually did die in the dream...
After years of searching for answers, I realized that over the years and time in my life that I was having these death dreams, I was experiencing in real life what I call the "Death Plague" in my life. There would be at least one death in my life, some years two and it was for 8 consecutive years. Deaths of family members, family friends but the death of my best friend from High school was a tipping point for me. Oddly enough, these dreams all occurred BEFORE each of these actual deaths, however, it was me who died in these dreams and not my loved ones...I realized many years later that maybe it's a way of "preparing me" for the death of that person, so it does not come as a shock when it actually does happen? Well, that philosophy didn't hold up too well as I do not think anything can prepare you for the death of a loved one whether you know it's coming or not. I do however, take a mental note now when these dreams occur and hope that the dream is wrong.
I have also had dreams that continue where you left off if you happen to wake up in the middle of them. This has happened on numerous occasions throughout my life. Some have been down right scary and have scared the crap out of me, while others were dreams of things that were enjoyable or things that I loved. I still cannot get myself to "continue" a dream that I really liked and did not want to wake up from, yet when I go back to sleep, of course you do not get to continue those cool dreams, but start another one if you dream again at all that night. : )
I've made it a personal habit to write down dreams that I have had when I feel that they have has some kind of significance that should be looked at later. When I write them down, I have seen that a few of my dreams have been spot on when it came to telling a friend about a house I saw her buy, specific details down to the style and color of the house which was the house her and her husband had decided to buy before they had told anyone about it...So, it's been cool to see that happen on a few occasions but that has only happened a couple times. : )
...Anyways, dreams can symbolize things in your life that could happen or things that maybe you need to look at and make a change. Last night I had a series of dreams that struck me as both bizarre and odd. The first dream was about a famous person and being in the same place and getting to talk to her about this blog oddly enough...She said that she found it online and has been reading it daily. I was so happy and excited that someone of her caliper would want to read a blog of some "simple person" who she's never met. It was cool nonetheless. : )
Then I had another dream about a dog I owned (in the dream) that was left with a friend while I was away and when I came back after like a month, the dog was skin and bones, bleeding from the mouth, missing teeth and had gouges of skin missing...I was horrified and cried asking why someone would do this to a pet, and just leave them there to die? I realized that this was not about my "dog" as I do not own a dog, but I do own two cats and they are the little loves in my life. I would die if anything bad happened to my cats and I would be heart broken if this happened to one of them. Not sure what the dream means but maybe that I need make sure only people I trust take care of my pets if I need to be gone for a few days?
The last dream was about an old ex boyfriend who wanted to see me and get back together. The dream was of one ex but I knew based on the events of the last few days, it was really implied to someone else, but in a round about way...was about the same concepts. I know based on where my heart is at and what happened in the dream that the best thing and most healthy thing for me to do is STAY FAR AWAY! : )
...Dreams are a funny thing, but I do believe that they have some merit in our lives, and we have these dreams for some reason or the other--It just may not be the exact reason or the exact layout of the dream as it may be in your personal life. Be mindful of those types of dreams that happen more than once. I have this rule of thumb with dreams...If I have the same dream, similar version of the dream or different dreams with the same people in it more than 3 times in one year, then I believe it's my subconscious trying to tell me something and maybe I should listen...
~Melissa
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment