Monday, September 8, 2014

Encompassing Globe


There comes a point in every life that people can feel they are stuck in a globe. Life is far from perfect, but I know that in life, there are certain things that we do, probably more of a daily routine and sometimes those are the things we want to change in life.

At times we come accustomed to the things in which we do on a daily basis. I found it fitting to title this post as it is after watching a particular Christmas movie oddly enough entitled Snow Globe. This movie is set during Christmas time, but the storyline is what made me think of writing this post. In this movie, the main character- Angela has this "ideal/perfect" Christmas that she would love to have with her family; with no drama, fighting or yelling but really enjoying all of the fun of the Christmas season. Angela receives a snow globe in the mail and soon realizes she can "travel" to this ideal Christmas town in the globe (in her dreams), where she can enjoy all of the wonders and happiness that the holiday season brings. After a few trips to this town, Angela soon realizes that everything being so perfect is great, but none of it is what she truly wants and it's not real. She ends up getting trapped in this globe town and the only way she can return home is if she realizes what she really wants for Christmas and that is to be with her family, share that time with them, even as imperfect as the holidays are with her family--It's real and it's what really matters to her. She does all she can to make it home and by the end of the movie, she gets the "imperfectly-perfect" Christmas she has always wanted with her family...

I wrote about this movie, because I believe parts of our lives are the same way. We get so focused at times on living the "ideal/perfect" life that we forget what life is really about. Life is about family, friends, adventures, mistakes, growing, learning, having fun, succeeding and enjoying the journey along the way. Sometimes we get so rutted into the routines in life, that we can feel we are enclosed within a globe, doing the same things, having the same outcome and we cannot find a way to break free from that to try something new.

In my personal life, I felt many times that I was trapped in a globe and I had to use everything shy of an iron fist to break that globe into pieces. I have found that when people or life tries to place a globe over me with something, I use brute force to break free and shatter it. I don't like the idea of being "boxed in" in this life or having people place you into this tiny mold of what you should do, and who you should be. I believe that we are all created with a uniqueness that is individual to each of us. Things in life happen, and it's when we stop dreaming and striving to "be the change" from what people expect, is when we have lost our battle and placed that globe over ourselves. I broke free of many strongholds and globes in my life and although I am still learning, growing and dreaming dreams for my life, I have found that I dislike "dictatorships" and people who try to change who I am or tell me what I should or should not do.

We all do the best we can in this life and at times, I know we cannot do things on our own and will need the help of God and/or others in our lives...However, if we allow someone to "place us into globes" in life, well that would be a sad, predictable and unrealistic life.

The opportunities in this life await us to "take a risk" on them. Sometimes we will succeed and sometimes we will fail, but we will ALWAYS be growing, learning and succeeding with each step we take in this life. I am in no way perfect or the person I would like to be someday, but I am grateful that I am not the person I used to be...And that my readers, is the progress and journeys that life has to offer us. Take a risk. Enjoy the journey and dream BIG! : )

~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment