Thursday, September 25, 2014
Walking Through the "Impossibles" in Life.
The quote above is something that I try to live by each day. People have said the phrases "You can't do that" or "That's impossible."...Each time I hear this, I simply say "Why not?" I believe that if you can dream of something, why then, you can achieve it. Life is full of people who have dreamt about things, about the "impossible" and have achieved it. I believe that it's only "impossible" until you achieve the goal you have set for yourself.
There were many things in my life that I either deemed as "impossible" or that I allowed others to tell me that were "impossible". I once thought it was impossible to make it through high school because I struggled so badly to pass a few required courses no matter how hard I tried or how much I studied...I worked very hard, repeated those two classes, and I graduated by the skin of my teeth...But I graduated on time and with a few extra credits.
I once thought it was impossible to care and love the people around me because I lacked that nurturing in my life as a kid, so I didn't know how to love others...It took years of hard work, blood, sweat and tears, but I learned to love those in my life even when I sought it out so much in my own life.
Learning how to have faith and trust in God after being burned so badly by the Body of Christ was something I deemed as impossible for me. I grew up in a church that I and many others felt was "brainwashing" me into believing/acting a certain way, otherwise I was basically "damned to hell" in a nutshell. I did not notice this at first, but a year after I graduated high school, I was tired of being told how to live my life, what I could and could not do, what friends I could and could not have, what music I could and could not like/listen to...etc. I wanted out! I didn't feel that church and a set of beliefs should be like invisible shackles that chain you to a certain way of living...So I left the church and never went back. I felt God was punishing me for leaving the church, when for 8 years my family and friends would end up dying in 2's each year. I gave up on God after my best friend from high school (Mary Foster) was killed in a car accident...I hated God, didn't want anything to do with him, church or anyone who wanted to tell me how much I "needed church and Jesus" in my life...So for many years, I went on a huge downward spiral in my life, and wanted nothing more to do with God until these last two years.--It has taken MANY, MANY years to walk through and process all of that, but I have learned to trust in God once again and I have begun to have faith as well.
Enrolling in college and graduating from college was something I always "knew" would be impossible for me because I struggled so badly through high school and barely graduated...So, right out of high school, I went to work at a few different "crappy" full-time jobs and realized that I did not want this to be my life, I knew there had to be more out there for my life, a career that I could love and truly enjoy and I was going to find it! I enrolled in college, spent five years in school, re-kindled my love of school and learning and then realized that I love teaching others as well as learning as a student. I want to become a teacher. I started a teaching degree and will finish it, but I also discovered that I love helping others and working in the Administrative field...So I pursued a degree in Administrative Support, graduated being a part of the Honor Roll and Dean's List, achieved my 1st and 2nd 4.0 in 2 consecutive semesters and now I have landed a job working back in the school environment in which I LOVE!
I could go on and on with little things, but the point I'm bringing to pass with this post is: Just because something is labeled as "impossible" or just because someone tells you "that's impossible, you can't do that." Doesn't mean you can't do it...I would tell you to respond as I do with "Why not?; It's only impossible until you achieve it." I promise you that people will not only give you a puzzled look, but it will also cause them to think a little as well. : )
...Remember, if you can dream it; then you can achieve it. : )
~Melissa
Finding a job that I absolutely LOVE was something I decided was only for movies and not in real life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment