As of late, I have had a desire to learn more about certain religions and ways of life that I don't know too much about. The one I have been researching as of late is the Amish religion/way of life. I knew a little about the Amish lifestyle, but I really had no idea what it all entailed. I view the Amish lifestyle as just another way that people live; however, after researching more about it and watching a few documentaries/ reality shows about it, I realized that a lot of what these people (who want to leave the Amish) went through is similar to some of my experiences with religion. I knew that the Amish could not have any electronics or electricity or modern conveniences. I did not know that there were differences between Amish and Mennonites (who are people who can drive cars and have modern conveniences). Although, I do not completely understand the Amish religion, that's okay but each time I see a documentary about this way of life or others, I cannot help but think of "invisible handcuffs".
As citizens of a country, you have two options. You can either abide by the laws of the country, or don't; however, if you don't, there are consequences for disobeying the law. I know that each religion has "rules and regulations" that people adhere to if they are going to identify with that particular religion/way of life; but it still makes me wonder: "Just how far is too far?", when it comes to religion or a particular way of life?
To think that I could not go swimming on a beach, or go to the beach/lake alone just baffles me. To think that if I went to visit a family member in another state, who are still good people but chose to live life differently that I would never be able to see them would crush me. Knowing that if I really had a dream that I wanted to follow, but it would go against the belief systems; and knowing that if I chose to follow my dream would get me shunned from my family and everyone I have ever known, would kill me...Family is the most important thing to me and to know that if I wanted to leave my "homeland" to pursue my dreams or see what life was like in the world, I could not return to my native home or way of life is more than I can fathom...I know that the Amish is a suitable lifestyle for some people, but it's just not for me.
Learning about this way of life has caused me to think of all the things in life that restrain us. Some of those restraints can hinder us from going after dreams or reaching our full potential in this life. We have "handcuffs" that come in different forms from laws of the state/country, rule and policies to be followed at work, "rules" of a particular religion that we may practice to taking care of our responsibilities in life as an adult. Thinking about these things made me see that we are all "bound" by invisible handcuffs every day. Rules/laws/ regulations are in place for a specific purpose, but they can also make us feel "locked up" with minimal freedoms. Researching this life as also made me grateful for all the simple things in life that make my life easier that other people do not have.
I am not this "wild and crazy" person who rebels against rules, but I do believe that as humans and citizens of this country, we should have access to all the opportunities that this country, life and world has to offer. Part of the reason why I left my home church I grew up in was due to invisible handcuffs that they placed on me and other believers. I do believe that there should be limits, but to not be allowed to do something or be shunned/condemned for it is not something that I am okay with. I watched people in my church shun, condemn, judge and push away other members who "sinned" or made mistakes in life and I was appalled by what I saw. I don't believe that there is a reason to EVER shun, or condemn ANYONE for making a mistake in life. Everyone messes up, "sins" and makes mistakes, so how can someone judge someone Else's sin/mistake on the basis that the person "sinned" differently than the person judging. A mistake is a mistake/ a sin is a sin, so why do people judge sins just because people sin differently?
This world has so much to offer everyone who has the opportunity to live life on it. I don't see why people are afraid or are not allowed to experience all of the great things in this world? A better way to approach "being prepared" and "having the armor of God on everyday" would be to say and believe that those people have been taught and trained right, so when faced with those obstacles, they can make the best decisions possible. Life is about learning and how can a person learn if they are "perfect" and make all of the right decisions all of the time? We are MEANT to make mistakes in this life. We are MEANT to grow and learn from them to become better than the person we are today.
Every lesson I have learned in my life, I have learned based on my experiences. I can personally tell you that NO ONE can accurately learn everything if you are not able or allowed to experience the learning process. I am not saying that this is a "ticket" to do whatever the heck you want, no matter who or what says so, but I am saying that maybe with certain aspects of life, the "invisible handcuffs" need to be removed so we are able to experience life and the world instead of fearing it. Isolation does NOTHING to prepare you for the world around you. In fact, I believe that isolation/being sheltered from "all the bad" is the WORST thing that can be done to you because when you become an adult and you go out into the world, you will be completely bombarded, overwhelmed and frightened and not know how to survive.
I have removed many handcuffs from my wrists that were restraining me and holding me back. I was raised to know the difference between right and wrong and I know how to be a law abiding citizen and if I break a law, I know there are consequences to follow my actions...But I could not keep living a life of "what if's" and "do's and don'ts"...I was far old enough to make my own choices and yes, I stumbled and fell along the way, but I picked myself back up, learned from it and moved on. That's what the journey of life is about...It's about EXPERIENCING life, not being "handcuffed" from it.
If you take a few minutes to think about your life, how many handcuffs would you see on your wrists in your daily life? Do they all NEED to be there? Are you happy? Would you change anything? Would you be "okay" if you removed a couple of them?
I know that I was okay with removing a few of them and I believe removing them made me a better and more enjoyable person. : )
~Melissa

No comments:
Post a Comment